Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Single Life

I have been "batching it" for about 11 hours now, and I've been reflecting about how different it is. I do things really strangely as a single person. I eat weird things at weird times. (I just ate half a package of pepperoni at 11 PM!). I sleep at weird times (still up at almost midnight writing this). I work at weird times.

One example of a weird thing I did when I was single in Manhattan is that I went out walking around 3 AM in the drizzling rain. Some police officers stopped me and shone a bright light on my and asked me questions, including if I enjoyed watching beautiful women walk by in the area. They took a few pictures of me for their file. I took this to be very strange. Eventually, I found out I was a suspect in the City Park Pusher/Attacker case. It is still vague to me exactly what this criminal did, but he was wanted really badly. It so happens that one visit from a detective, and he was convinced that I couldn't possibly commit any crime. So the moral of the story, is that marriage keeps me out of those situations!

The cool thing is that continued watching the Ken Burns Jazz series. I also just purchased a Stride Piano book. Harlem Stride is the jazz piano style immediately following the ragtime craze. See, I've been learning things!

2 comments:

  1. Don't get too weird this week, Dan. :) We'll see you on the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best story.
    To answer your question--amazon is probably the best place to buy french books. Bookstores can order a lot of titles as well. Good for you for working on your french. My neighborhood bookstore has a french club--think I'm going to join even though I'm intimidated by it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.