Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Review: Hello Dolly!

This was nominated for Best Picture in 1969. Barbra Streisand is my least favorite outspoken Hollywood liberal, and I don't know why! But she did great in this movie. Her character, Dolly, is quite garrulous and therefore annoying at times. But that was how it was supposed to be, and she played it well.

This movie had really long dancing and singing scenes - very entertaining. It doesn't quite have the charm that other musicals have, maybe because there aren't very many good songs.

I related the story to Courtney about how our family sang "Hello, Dolly", but switched the words to "Hello, Family". We sang it at a Taussig family reunion. Instead of being impressed as I expected, Courtney didn't understand why we would embarass ourselves at a family reunion by singing. Then to try to make things better, I told her about how my parents did the "Little Man skit". And then how we had the reunion t-shirt. But that did not help Courtney to understand. Anyway, "Hello, Dolly" will always make me think of "Hello, Family".

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you guys can do a rendition of "Hello Family" at Christmas to help me (and possibly the other in-laws?) understand. The girls would get a kick out of it.

    ~CG

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.