Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Replacement

There are a lot of story lines with my new car. Here they are in favorite order.

#1. The drastic change between my old car and my new car.

My 91 Camry had "no power anything", and things were breaking, such as my door handle and emergency brake and the A/C lever. Not to mention it was uncomfortable and ugly. (Though it does look better than most 91 Camrys I've seen out there) There was a lot of rust and non-matching paint from when we tried to fixed rust.

The new car is 17 years newer. It has power locks and windows and cruise control. And it drives normally - like when you press the gas pedal, it goes faster. It is really really pretty.

#2. The evolving philosophy of the car search.

Well I am really used to driving small old cars, and assumed that I would always get another old Camry. I picked a price range that I felt was appropriate for our savings, and considering that we need to replace the Jeep soon as well. I tested out a couple of cars. We almost bought a 99 Camry for way under budget, but the person selling did not end up leaving for India. Then the Accord I tried out (from someone leaving for Turkey) had really bad tires, salvage title, and no proof of timing belt change.

I realized something needed to change, like stop trying to buy cars from people leaving the country the next day. We were also reconsidering our price range and the make/models. I looked into all car brands. I know so much more about 4 door sedans than I used to. But I still had difficulty finding a fair deal on a Malibu or Fusion or Impala, (ie other brands).

And all this time, it is very difficult to focus on my work and also find and test out cars, and prepare for our child. Each car I looked at would take away precious time from other things. So by this point I was more inclined to look at cars that were less likely to have problems. I didn't want to get into a car with 120K+ miles because it would feel like the same old story again for me, with things breaking. Annique was born, and the car search went on a short hiatus.

finally, a couple of weeks later, my car wouldn't start after work at exactly 162,000 miles. It upped the pressure for me to find a car. Also, my mechanic fixed it for nearly free (after we got it there through push-starting). So I decided to listen to my mechanic, who has always recommended Kia. I basically put in some specific searches in Craigslist for Kia, and came up with a couple of nice ones. I asked Courtney if she was willing to invest a little more in a car, and she was cool with that. So after I found this one, it was smooth sailing from there.

#3 The debt story line. If you have known me a while you'd have guessed that I followed a debt-free philosophy long before Dave Ramsey came on the local scene. It was just how I was raised. Growing up, I had never heard of a car payment. So it is still a foreign idea to me, just like "not having a car payment" is a foreign idea to other people. To be frank, I think car payments are a really bad idea mathematically and emotionally and spiritually. This is not really the place to expound on that philosophy, so we will move on.

The other thing is that Courtney and I are not big spenders, and we save a lot. Dave Ramsey has a saying "Live like no one else, so that later you can live like no one else". I lived like no one else - for a while I have driven the oldest car out of anyone I know. And now I feel that I can finally LATER drive like no one else - have the ability to drive a nice car without a car payment.

#4. The length of the car search. It started about the beginning of March when we got a wheel bearing fixed, but the clutch problem had surfaced. My mechanic said there were a lot of things going wrong with it soon, and advised to not invest in fixing it. Which was fine with me, because I was ready for a new car anyway. But I didn't know it would take almost 3 months to find one, and happen after our child was born.

#5. God's provision I'm a believer in God's hand in my life, and how He can use events to shape other events. So I am at peace when things are in His hands. I really feel like He was in this.

#6. Protecting it This is the first time I've been protective of my car. I guess that is what the insurance is for, so you don't have to worry.

Will update with pictures sometime...

1 comment:

  1. Debt-free is awesome. You really can't go wrong. Whereas you can get into a lot of trouble quickly through borrowing money.

    However, I would provide a perspective on the value of debt. Particularly for younger adults, responsible debt allows you to leverage future earnings. This can allow someone to purchase a car with money they don't currently have that has value in areas such as reliability and safety.

    If you can go debt-free and still meet all your needs and requirements, there's nothing better. But, I think debt gets a little over-demonized. Debt can be just as useful a tool to individuals as it is to business.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.