Warning, plot spoilers. I have to write that for the random people around the world who stumble across my blog and get angry at me. I swear that this happened. Or for friends who want to see the movie.
....However, he wrote it based on the story of his sister who died from diabetes
I wasn't really aware of the risks of diabetes. Everyone I know with diabetes just complains about monitoring what they eat, but they seem to be breaking their own rules constantly. And I never hear about fear of death. So I guess I need to find out more about this.
Dolly Parton is in the movie as the beauty parlor owner, and seems to just be herself, from what I imagine Dolly is really like. Julia Roberts and Sally Field are in the movie. My favorite role was played by Shirley MacLaine, who plays a grumpy woman named Ouiser.
For me the main question asked in the movie is whether about having the freedom to make a decision that could kill you. When you have a mother who insists on making the decisions for you, you probably especially want to know what that freedom is like. Shelby the daughter picked a man for a husband who was the opposite of her mother - he did not get in the way of Shelby's decisions. After Shelby's death, he is silent and disappears from the movie - he is a disappointment of a man in my view. That is why Shelby's mother M'Lynn (played by Sally Field) says to her friends after the funeral, describing the scene after life support was removed...
Drum left. He couldn't take it. Jackson left. I find it amusing - men are supposed to be made out of steel or something
So to finish, my point, a risk was taken - Shelby had a child despite her diabetes. After Shelby's death, her mother loves the son (her new grandson, now a toddler) - yes something good came out of the risk...although the mother was right all along about what could go wrong. So the question is, take a risk or play it safe? And the movie seems to fall in favor of taking the risk, but I'm not sure.
There were many funny enjoyable parts of the movie, and I don't have time to write about them. Good movie. I didn't think I would like it. We are in 1989 in our movie watching and are coming across more movies we have actually heard of, such as this one.
Happy New Year Dan...
ReplyDeletePeace and Joy,
Mike King