Monday, June 18, 2007

Movie Review: The Wizard of Oz

Yes, I've finally seen the Wizard of Oz! After 17 years of living in Kansas! I still haven't seen a tornado though.

The movie was better than the Theater in the Park version, which is four and a half hours trying to get comfortable on a blanket. This movie was only about 100 minutes, which was really short especially for an old movie. It was also the first old movie we've seen in color! It was actually not a Best Picture winner. GWTW beat it out.

So, what did I think about the movie for which the Kansas City Wiz soccer team was named? I must say that Judy Garland and the Scarecrow turned in superstar performances. I didn't really like the Tin Man character. And the Lion's vibrato on his "courage" solo was horrific. The songs were all good though.

We were impressed by the Special Effects. There was a tornado and a house that flew around inside of it and flying monkeys. Mo said that the Wizard of Oz series gave great hope and inspiration to those who lived through the Great Depression. I also see it as a funny and imaginitive kids story. I'd also like to point out that it was the first time my sister Monique had seen it, and I found out that my dad has still not seen it.

Here is one of the best clips from the movie:


2 comments:

  1. i'm not a die hard Judy Garland fan, but thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. our family is weird. hilarious first comment on here by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.