
Courtney and I rented Amazing Grace, the store of Willam Wilberforce and his quest to end the slave trade in England.
I thought it had good acting, good art, and a good story. We learned about the slave trade along with Wilber. With support from his pastor, John Newton, and several other friends, he fought to end the slave trade. It met opposition, due to several politicians with financial interests in slavery. It was delayed further due to the war with France.
Then Wilberforce was able to sneak a law in, that would technically end 80% of the slave trade. Then 2 years later, with not really any explanation of why, his final bill had overwhelming support, and the slave trade ended in England. That is my only criticism of the movie. It didn't explain that change of support.
Wilberforce almost gave up after 15 years, but then met his future wife, who encouraged him to keep fighting. He was very sick, and took opium for a long time. He died 3 days after the final bill was passed.
I almost forgot to mention that the movie ties into my blog name - I once was lost, but now am found.
saw this in the theatre...thought it was pretty good. glad to see some updates...
ReplyDelete