Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Church Revitalization

Courtney and I attended a 6 hour seminar at church on Saturday. It was about facing the hard truth about your church. Is it a healthy missional church, or is it failing to reach the culture around it?

People came from Covenant Churches from all over Kansas and Missouri. Courtney knew people from 6 churches! The event was held at our church though.

The seminar is named Veritas, and the speaker is John Wenrich. I've added a brand new link on my sidebar named Covenant Vitality Movement Blog where you can read more about it.

I will also be posting something in the future with some detailed observations about our own church. I think I'm good at recognizing the situation of our church, but I'm not good at coming up with ideas to make it a healthy missional church. It would be a team effort and would take 4-7 years.

I actually have increasing self-esteem about the Covenant denomination. Wheras when I grew up in the church, I did not see how it was much different than anything else. It seems like it has been able to get out of the ruts of tradition, and is now able to address our culture.

4 comments:

  1. I would agree about the Covenant Dan. It has surprised me as well lately. One of the greatest strengths I see in it is a non top down format of leadership. What happens in Chicago is not what has to happen all over the place. Each covenant church can look significantly different than another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could have attended this seminar, Dan. It sounds helpful for evaluating a ministry. I'm glad that you are seeing some positives about the Covenant denomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made the Veritas website! Check it out!

    ~Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! you got quoted!

    http://www.covchurch.org/blogs/vitality/recent-posts/blog-on-blog

    but I see that Courtney already noticed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.