Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Movie Review: Superman

When Courtney was away, I tried to pick a movie that she would be least interested in seeing, so that she wouldn't feel bad about missing it. I could have also hung out with people, but uh, yeah, I didn't. There's a time for everything. Anyway, this is supposed to be a review of Superman.



This is a 1978 movie I had never seen, because I guess I didn't watch movies growing up or something. The way it opened with the credits, I thought they were copying off of Star Wars, because it had moving text over a galaxy. The orchestration is also similar to the music in Star Wars. The beginning part was pretty strange like a weird sci-fi movie, but the story was interesting about how Kal-El (Superman) comes to Earth.

Then the movie is very nice showing Clark Kent (Superman) grow up in Kansas, trying to grapple with acceptance and self-control. I thought that the rest of the plot was very nice with the romantic story with Margot Kidder (Lois Lane). One of the problems I had was that it wasn't very resolved. It's because they wrote it to be both Superman and Superman II. So now I have to watch Superman II.

The other thing I didn't like was that Superman "told all" in a newspaper editorial, which then gave Lex Luthor the necessary knowledge to fight him. So apparently Superman is really stupid and wants to give the enemy all of his secrets. Also, I didn't like how switching the direction of the earths rotation made the past reverse itself as well. I don't think time is dependent on the direction the earth is going, but the rest of the movie is "believeable". The fact that most of it is believable is really a compliment to the movie makers.

It has a nice cast list of Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, and several other previously "unknowns" such as Christopher Reeve. By the way, Christopher Reeve did a great acting job as both Clark Kent and Superman. I couldn't think of someone else, especially over other names that were at first considered: Arnold, Sylvester Stallone, Paul Newman??

3 comments:

  1. John Williams did the score for both Superman and Start Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the Star Wars score was much more memorable. But in the special features John Williams said that Superman is a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, so that's how he approached it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen it, Dan. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.