This Best Picture Winner of 1970 was kind of a monologue - not too many other people had lines than Patton! Patton prayed on his knees and cussed like a sailor, and believed in reincarnation. And he was really full of himself. That makes for a really interesting character study.
The pre-computer age of special effects were impressive. Dozens of tanks were blown up, so it seems. The movie was not graphic in terms of blood like Saving Private Ryan.
This was not really my favorite movie, but I think it is a good war movie. Best picture winners continue to provide for some of our historical education.
An interesting thing is that Patton was reprimanded for slapping a soldier, and almost kept out of the European Front because of it. I wasn't aware that political correctness went back to 1970. Not that I condone what he did. I love the line from the German official, "Don't believe their newspapers - they would never keep their best general out of the war just for slapping a soldier." And eventually Patton got back into it, because they needed an aggressive general to press into Germany.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.