Thursday, July 09, 2009

Movie Review: Kramer vs. Kramer

1980 Best Picture Winner



Towards the middle of this movie, I realized I had already seen the end. I don't know when or why, but it was a long time ago, and I remember not liking the movie at all. I was shocked to find out that this was an Academy Award winner. My least favorite types of movies are 1) family conflict and drama, 2) courtroom drama, and this movie has both. But thankfully, there are a few funny scenes in there too that make it better.

The story is about a mother (played by Meryl Streep) that suddenly decides to leave her husband and her son. And then the husband (Dustin Hoffman) had just gotten a promotion that day, and now has to juggle his busy job with raising his young son. And then the father and son bond, but then the mother wants the child back, and there's a custody battle. Courtney cried at the conclusion. I did not react to it, because I knew the whole time what would happen.

I like parts of the movie. There is great acting by Dustin Hoffman and the child actor. There are several funny parts. I can relate now to the husband trying to work at the same time as having family responsibilities.

I like the character played by Dustin Hoffman. At first we think he's a workaholic. But then we learn that he has more of a heart for his son than for his career. And he's a really great guy, and he may not have been good at marriage, but he didn't deserve his wife leaving him.

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.