Saturday, August 01, 2009

Book Review: 2 contents, 2 realities, by Francis Schaeffer

This book was written in 1973, and was once again given to me from my Dad's old collection. The going price for these on Amazon is $177.00. And it was originally sold for $0.95. So I got a collector's item. Wish me luck as I try to sell. I'm guessing there is not much demand, and no one would pay that much, but I'll try to put it out there.

The two contents are:
  1. Sound Doctrine - don't let liberal theology, such as the "Bible isn't absolute truth", creep in to your thinking.
  2. Honest Answers to Honest Questions - We should try to answer honest intellectual questions - faith decisions should not be the result of emotion or manipulation - but there should be real answers to questions.
The two realities are:
  1. True Spirituality - even though intellectual belief is important, having a deep spiritual life is important
  2. The Beauty of Relationships - Christian love is what should will the good news. Unfortunately, in Dr. Schaeffer's day, the church wasn't a good model for it, especially looking poor in race relations. The first century church was great because there were people of all different religious, racial and economic backgrounds worshiping together. The love exhibited by the followers went down into the material possessions, as they shared them. Dr. Schaeffer was quick to point out that this wasn't communism, but volunteered donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.