We went to a Black church with Mom and Dad on Sunday. The church belongs to my former coworker, Rachel, and her father is the preacher. I always told her I would visit her church, but never did, so I finally arranged to go.
First, I want to write about the term "Black church". You know, it's not really a fair statement to categorize a church by race, but I feel that is the most concise way to express my message. A more accurate term would be "a church founded by and mostly attended by African-Americans". I believe that the term "Black church" is only offensive in the sense that "White church" is. It boils down a spiritual institution to a race, rather than a belief.
I know it's not for me to decide, but I think the term "African-American" gets really wordy. I would guess that the term "Black" is acceptable when talking among friends. It just feels odd to me, especially during a private conversation, as if being PC is necessary in private. In public, the term African-American should be used, because someone might have strong feelings about it. Maybe we should ask the person we are talking to how they feel, before choosing a term. (How, blog reader, do YOU feel about it?)
The denomination was Church of Christ, so there were no musical instruments. The vocalist had a huge voice. There was powerpoint as well as song books. The songs were easy to pick up on, so we didn't need to open the song books. It was nice to hear the four part harmonies, including some call and response tunes.
The preacher was really energetic, and obviously knew the Word quite well. He was bold, and I don't think anyone could have gone through it without being woken up spiritually. I got a lot out of the sermon, and it had a symmetrical outline, so it was easy to remember. A few members of the congregation urged the pastor on. The lay people had a large part in the service and knew Scripture well and prayed beautiful prayers. Prayers are also a time where the congregation can say an "Amen" or a "that's true!" You know, I really like that, but in most White churches we don't do it.
There was an invitation, and one little girl made a decision for Christ, and was baptized a few minutes afterward in the baptismal font, which was above and behind the podium. There was a time for the greeting of visitors, where they said our names, and we stood up, and everyone clapped.
It seemed that everyone wanted to meet us and know our first AND last names, and wanted us to know theirs. And they urged us to come back. I would like to go back sometime.
i love congregations who verbally respond to what is going on in a worship service-- instead of sitting there like an "audience", they are participants! wish my church experience was more like that sometimes. Maybe I should come visit too! (and I AM visiting YOU second week in September, Friday night, are you available?!!) mary
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should ask the person we are talking to how they feel, before choosing a term.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog entry. My experience with terminology has taught me that the preference changes form one African American to the next. I had a very good friend who was Black and preffered to be called Black over African American. His take was he is not African he is an American who is black. He likened it to my being referred to a German American which is my hetitage but is never used to classify me. He makes a good point but I am well aware and he admitted that not everyone would feel the same. I find this to be frustrating as a white male trying to do the right thing when the definition of "right" changes from person to person.
While I am not a church goer (I do have my own spirituality) I would love to attend a African-American service. From what little I know there is a lot of energy and passion to be found there. I would explain further but frankly I would probably offend white folk.
The other reason I would love to attend is to just gain better understanding. All too often in this day and age too many people judge others based on thier title or classification. I am not just talking racism. Take politics right now. Republicans are almost radical and the level of hatred is scary. What is even more scary is the willingness of Americans to embrace the hate without fully educating themselves first. I don't mean by reading a newspaper or listening to Rush or Glenn Beck. I am talking facts. I spend a lot of time listening the oppositions side to challenge my own views. When I say listen I do mean listen. Not for the sake of arguing my point but to challenge my own point of view. Often you will catch me arguing with those who agree with my pov then those who do not. When it comes to those who I disagree with I focus more on listening to thier point. Sometimes I learn my POV is wrong.
I applaud you for attending the service and think you should do more of it. I think you will learn a lot about yourself. My Black friend I mentioned above taught me alot about being a MAN as well as how to be a better white man. It would take a huge entry to explain that but my point is learning his diveristy to myself made me a better person. I'll never forget the impact he has made on my life.
You know who