Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Trees

God says we are like trees...or in some cases, branches.

John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches

Jer 17:7-8

But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.

Col 2:6-7 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him

Isaiah 61:3 They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.




I have noticed the following things about trees that relate to our lives, and hopefully I've been helped by the Spirit:

  • They/we are dependent on outside resources for our growth.
  • By claiming to be self-sufficient, they/we wither and become useless
  • Need to be rooted in a good location (not in shallow soil) - the soil in our life represents a good view of God, or rather an accurate view of how God views us.
  • Even after death, can leave a legacy. When strong trees are cut down they can be used to build strong structures. When we are gone, we can leave a strong legacy.
  • Trees/we start out small and weak but can become strong. You don't see us growing, but as the years pass, you notice that we've grown quite a bit.
  • We give back by blessing the world - providing a place for shade/grace environments.
Any other Scriptures or insights that you have?

And to put my own intentions in positive light..not trying to earn anyone's approval here or make some sort of impact. This comes out of my own yearning to know what God really thinks of me. I believe that God showed me that we are like trees. It makes sense. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog entry, Dan. I like all of it, but especially the part about self-sufficiency vs interdependence. Providing grace environments to others is a great way to view giving back.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.