Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Review: Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas

On page 238 of 270, I begged this book "PLEASE END!". And then I turned to Courtney and said, "You know I don't have to finish it. I'm done."

We received this as a wedding gift from my sister (thanks), who told us to wait a few years before reading. Then we started reading it when our small group decided to read it.  And then our baby was born, and we quit reading it.  So I've been trying to complete it.

For most of the time, I thought the author was Gary Chapman, the guy with the Southern accent and huge glasses who wrote The Five Love Languages.  But then only recently did I realize that was not the same person - this was written by Gary Thomas.   It is a strange mix of theology, opinion, church history, personal anecdotes, already accepted  ideas, and outlandish ideas.

I thought it was very difficult to care about what the author was saying, because it was so drawn out and dry.  The various attempts at humor did not pull me back in.  It turns out Gary Chapman is easier to follow.  I am not doing too well on enjoying marriage books.  Is there a John Eldredge book on this subject?  Now that would be great. (Yes, it's called Love and War!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.