Saturday, October 02, 2010

Book Review: My Brother's Keeper, Part III - Review

"What the social sciences do (and don't) tell us about masculinity.

I started out ambitiously, but I don't feel like writing a chapter-by-chapter review anymore.

Overall, I was impressed at the author's (Mary Stewart Van Leeuwen) breadth of knowledge.  However, she still seems more interested in women's issues than men's.  This provided a unique perspective for me - one that I haven't necessarily been exposed to.  I am the descendant of two lines where women were housewives and did not work outside the home. Second wave feminism has always been viewed in a very negative light.   (first wave feminism being the right to vote, basically)  And the author, being a feminist, opened my mind a bit about Biblical views (we are all equal in Christ) and cultural history.

Actually, I should mention that I did get a lot out the chapter about the history of men's work.  As a nation we moved from an agrarian society to an industrial society.  Before, communities were tightly knit and work was seasonal. Now, things have changed, and the workplace has become religion for many men.  I would spend more time writing about this, but probably no one is reading this post anyway (other than my lovely wife), and I need to head to bed.

I think the book was stimulating overall.

4 comments:

  1. AH-HUM!! You have other family members out there reading your blog too!! Admiring your ability to keep up with your reading, and your excellent reviews! It is interesting, I feel I have become much more feminist of late. I do feel that we are all one in Christ and that in many of the Conservative churches women need to be given more room to breathe..
    L, MO :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...you really make me think sometimes. STOP THAT! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.