Thursday, November 02, 2006

Facing the Giants

For Mo's 30's birthday we went to dinner and saw Facing the Giants. This was a very good film about Christian living. Some parts are not applicable, because the football team gets very religious. Courtney and I both went to public high schools. She did go to a Christian college and works in a Christian setting. But the idea of being "preachy" in a educational and work setting is not possible in the culture I live in. My company even has some Christian undertones, but being preachy would be inappropriate.

But besides that, it did include a guy walking down the halls of the school, praying for students. That does happen here in real life. He also dropped by the football coach's office, and said a random piece of Scripture, and said "I felt God wanted me to tell you that today". That kind of thing happens in our lives. The football coach was faced with the decision of praising God even in the very tough times. That happens to people. The student who was flunking, and then gave his life to God, then started to do very well academically. I believe in the power of Christ to change a life, and it very much affects academics. I felt it was much more applicable and inspiring to my life than any usual movie.

The other weird thing is that things ended up perfect. I don't sense in real life that things ever get easy, or that things ever come to a full happy conclusion. I don't think the movie was trying to say that things end up perfectly, but the end did feel a little fake in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.