Monday, December 18, 2006

Tithing

What do you think about tithing?

Courtney and I believe that giving 10% to your church is not a given. This question of mine comes after a Rick Warren video we watched in our small group, where Rick Warren believed that the tithe was not debateable. Or so it seemed.

Our church recently decided not to give to the poor or to missions this year out of the budget, except for individuals who are full-time Christians workers. To justify this behavior, the church council claims that it went the extra mile in giving in previous years, which I believe we did.

Still, Courtney and I believe in giving especially to the poor and to world missions, and those ministries are part of our giving. And even if our church did give more to the poor and to missions, it wouldn't give to the ministries that are dear to our hearts. In other words, 10% of our income does not go to our church.

Here is an interesting take on this:
A tithing book

1 comment:

  1. Woah. What's up CCC?! I remember that last year they made a big deal about how they were going to continue to give to the missions and other ministries that they support, eventhough it was going to make it tough for the church to meet their own expenses. I guess it got too tough?

    I agree with you and Courtney. Put your money into the ministries that God places on your heart.

    I'm sad for CCC.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.