
I thought I was going to be bored last weekend, so I picked this from the library. I ended up sanding walls for hours, and didn't see much of it. But I obviously watched it eventually.
The first thing I noticed was the really bad acting EXCEPT for John Wayne himself, who played Davy Crockett. The dialogue is really odd and fake.
There are some nice scenes with hundreds of cows, horses, and authentic Mexican military garb.
The special features were really interesting - John Wayne wasn't getting much support so he produced the movie himself, and ended up losing money. He produced, directed, and acted in the movie.
But it is still worth seeing, despite my so-so review. I've seen too many movies this month, and have not finished any books!
you just described almost all JW movies ... at least that i've ever seen. i think he's one of my favorite people to watch in movies -- notice i avoided using words like actor or act. he isn't one, and can't (apparently) do the other. yet somehow the man makes you want to watch him ... and really like it. during jr. high i used to think JW was a great actor. that opinion has changed -- but i still watch his movies with joy and fully entertained. ever seen "true grit?"
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen true grit, i'll put in on my list of movies to see. Yeah, I really enjoyed John Wayne in this movie.
ReplyDeletealso ... the older JW got ... the better he got, at least in my opinion. compare "stagecoach' to "the cowboys" BIG difference
ReplyDelete