Friday, January 16, 2009

Me and Jazz Music

I just finished watching the PBS series Ken Burns jazz, which I think is 15 hours total. I think I started watching them around summer time. I thought that this merited a movie review post.

First, let me explain my history with jazz music.

I believe my first exposure to jazz was with Doug Talley, when jazz band was an after school activity at Trailridge Middle School. My instrument was trumpet at that time, and that is when Mr. Talley gave me the nickname Catfish. Then throughout high school my interest in jazz was kindled by listening to evening programs on public radio. Then finally, I joined up with Mr. Talley again my senior year of high school as the piano player for the jazz band.



In college, my lack of money or time, and the lack of jazz on public radio in central Kansas, led to me not making any progress in my appreciation of jazz. After college I continued at the same pace. Recently however, I picked up Internet jazz stations that have exposed me to new music and rekindled my love for the art.

As to why I like jazz, my only explanation is that certain performances touch my soul and stimulate my intellect. My own performance of jazz on piano leaves a lot to be desired, both technically and creatively. One of my life's goals is to be able to intellectualize jazz, and then be able to perform it. I am also working on learning jazz for bass guitar.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan! What about that real eccentric guy you took piano from for a while? I thought he was big into jazz. We love your music! L, mo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good memory! What a strange man, but I appreciate how he got me started on playing things by ear and understanding chord charts. Those skills are definitely needed for jazz.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.