Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Book Review: 48 Days to the Work You Love, by Dan Miller

I checked out this book because it is recommended by Dave Ramsey, and quite honestly there was a scare several months ago at work, and I became interested in career books. The book is so popular at the library, that I waited 3 months to get it, and I had to read it in about 3 weeks, or else I was going to wait another 3 months to finish it. The fear and died down and things have settled, but I was still interested in reading the highly recommended book.
  • I recommend it for Christians, because it speaks to issues that Christians have. It particularly addresses the misconception that you can sit on your butt and wait on God to provide for you. You should go out and work hard for the career that you want.
  • Addresses the changing workplace. Due to changing technology, most of us will be doing jobs in 7 years that do not currently exist.
  • Otherwise it is a typical career book - tries to apply to every career - and never written by an IT person -mostly directed readers who are unhappy in their careers or unemployed and has a section on starting your own business - sections on finding a career, changing careers, and applying for jobs, and interviewing. Along the way, it has lots of inspiring anecdotes and stories.
I recommend it as a one-size-fits-all "find a career book". By the way, the name "48 days" has nothing to do with the book. They just wanted to make the title catchier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.