Thursday, July 29, 2010

Conservative voting

Courtney and I voted today.  The battle plan in Republican primaries are to show voters who the MOST conservative candidate is.   And the game for voters is to find out who is LYING.   Unfortunately, in the information age, it is still difficult to find out facts.  Maybe it's because we also live in the age where we are too busy to dig up those facts, and we have to guess who is representing facts truthfully.

I noticed this year that for some, pro-life is still the top issue.   I remember growing up in the 90s, this and "family values" were the biggest deal.  Well, we've had pro-life and family values with Bush, but nothing got done in some key areas.   In my view, my top issues are Fiscal Responsibility and Illegal Immigration, and these are critical today.  If someone loves to be pro-abortion, I won't vote for them, but frankly not too many of those candidates show up in Republican primaries here. 

One person had a problem with a Senate candidate (Jerry Moran) because he voted pro-choice once in 1982 and another time in 1988 in the State Legislature.   I think this is foolish, because if that is the best you can dig up on someone, it is not worth mentioning. Although we did vote for Tiahrt because he is endorsed by pretty much everyone who is important.

I also have a problem with people who run for various offices, and are poster boys for conservatism.  I have great respect for Kris Kobach and the fact that he is a constitutional scholar and anti-immigration expert.  But this doesn't mean he should run for Secretary of State, which apparently has nothing to do with his experience so far.  Stop running for random offices, and just let people do the job who actually want the job.  I'm voting for the other guy who actually really wants that specific job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.