Thursday, May 15, 2008

Movie Review: My Fair Lady

Oscar Best Picture 1964 brought us My Fair Lady,featuring Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison


I've had an internal battle about which is better: West Side Story or My Fair Lady? (Feel free to pitch in) I feel that I would watch it again before I'd watch West Side Story again. The lyrics and the plot and the characters and the acting in My Fair Lady are much more entertaining. However, West Side Story wins on the side of art and music complexity and definitely dance. So they are two totally different movies, but still I need to decide which one is "better". My Fair Lady will definitely be on my Must See list that I'm giving you at the end of this.


The funniest thing was that in the middle of the movie Courtney and I realized that there is a Simpsons episode that we have seen several times (named My Fair Laddy) that loosely follows the plot and songs of the musical. In it, Lisa tries to make Groundskeeper Willie into a "proper gentleman".


For the plot of My Fair Lady, a linguistic professor, Professor Higgins, is studying people on the street, and comes across a dirty flower girl (a low profession), Eliza Doolittle, who has terrible English and rude manners. And he meets another linguist right there and boasts to the new guy that he could turn Eliza into a lady. Anyway, she eventually shows up at the professors house and wants lessons, and she ends up living at the house. the Professor makes it his project to train her and present her at the Imperial Ball, to win his bet with his friend. And Higgins ends up winning the bet, but Eliza rightly feels like an "object"and that she is not treated like a lady, now that she is one. Another gentleman named Freddy falls in love with Eliza. Then Higgins, who by the way has been full of himself, gives in and realizes he "has grown accustomed to her face", meaning that he will miss her. The movie ends, not specifying where any romantic feelings are going.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.