Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Midnight Cowboy dilemma

If you know me well, you know I am quite picky about movies. For example, if I'm going to watch a rated R movie, it has to go through some strict filtering, the main one being that it is in very high acclaim. The main reason is that I am easily offended, so I always left my movie watching experience feeling frustrated (referring to early college days). Being married to Courtney, who is not really offended in those ways, has helped me to be more like her, but I still am picky.

Anyway, I knew that in our Best Picture Winner quest, this would cause a collision eventually. And I knew it would begin with Midnight Cowboy, the winner in 1969. I first heard about it when the Bades warned us to not watch it, and said we should skip it. And they said it was weird.


I later found out that it is about a homosexual male prostitute and his sickly friend struggling to survive in the big city. I also found out that it was rated X at the time in 1969, until they changed it to R in 1970. Of course, ratings were different back then.

So, my current inclination is to watch it, because I don't really want to say that I skipped a Best Picture Winner. But I approach with fear! But I do also approach expecting to see some good movie making. I haven't talked to C about it yet since she is in Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.