Friday, February 13, 2009

Book Review: The Inner Game of Work

Short Review:
  • This is a book by W. Timothy Gallwey. He wrote the Inner Game of Tennis, and now has applied the same logic to other fields, such as work in general.
  • The book is about how we have two selves: Self 1 is the criticizing voice telling you what to do, and Self 2 is what you'd do naturally. How this applies to tennis, is that Self 1 becomes so loud that it gets in the way of improvement.
  • He champions the idea that work should be the same as learning and enjoyment. I have done well at this so far, and it has worked out for me.
  • I like the STOP method - Stop, Think, Organize your thoughts, and Proceed. this means you don't find yourself reacting to everything, but you decide what really needs to get done to move the company forward.
  • Also, the point is that the teacher-student model (handing out instructions) gets in the way of learning, and the coaching method (holding up a mirror to the student) is effective.
  • At the end the author is candid that he doesn't like the idea of God telling him what to do, because it causes Self 1 interference. This surprised me, I understand his objections, but don't agree.

Longer review:

The Self1-Self 2 concept was really eye-opening. I think a lot of Gras' (my family) have a loud Self 1 - we are kind of self conscious. It would be good to let some of that go, and just live in the Self 2.. The book expands on this much better than I would be able to here. See below "More from an earlier post"

I've used this STOP method. It seems so simple. But I had gotten into a habit of reacting to every email immediately. Now, instead, I write down exactly what needs to happen during the day to move the company forward, or move my life forward. I have enjoyed it so far. I also tried to apply this to my life, but got stuck on really deep questions, like what is my purpose in life? This question was really heavy, and I think the answer is multi-faceted and I don't know it exactly. But it is something to think about.

At the end the author is candid that he doesn't like the idea of God telling him what to do, because it causes Self 1 interference. I agree in the fact that many Christians struggle with guilt or other problems due to "laws". But I would disagree that what God has said is not worth paying attention to - in other words, I want to obey - I willingly subject myself to His commands, even though it can limit my freedom, because He loves us.



More from an earlier post:

I am currently reading a book The Inner Game of Work, by W. Timothy Gallwey. It has turned out to be a deep book about psychology. I really like it. Here is a long quote:

When I was growing up, the voice of "the others" seemed very big and powerful...So a Self 1, which embodied these voices, emerged within me. It looked for approval and direction from those it was dependent upon for safety and acceptance. Whether I was alone or with people, Self 1 was always there, a judgmental audience ready to make its criticisms or grant its approval. The goal was to become someone worthy of respect in the eyes of this audience.
Meanwhile, Self 2 [DG note: the true inner self] was relegated to a background position....it was not until I was in my thirties that I came to recognize and again honor Self 2

In terms of my own application, it means that the critical voice is not necessarily something that is making me better, but may be distracting me from finding joy in being my self. The purpose is to minimize Self 1

4 comments:

  1. The cusp of greatness here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I said that I was referring to finishing my top 10 movie post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you read to better yourself and be a more efficient and effective worker. You're so smart and have excellent goals for yourself.

    ~CG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I appreciate reading about your reading. I too need to work on S.T.O.P., to avoid being a reactionist. James 3 comes to mind. This is my Lenten journey. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.