
1975 Best Picture winner - I believe it was the first Best Picture winner we watched out of town, but not sure.
A criminal named Randle McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) gets sent to a mental ward of a hospital, because he has been acting crazy, but he is not crazy at all. He pumps some life into the overly medicated and oppressive lives of the patients. The nurse in charge of the ward, Nurse Ratched, seems only interested in keeping them sick. And so the criminal and nurse butt heads and fun stuff happens and sad stuff happens, and surprises happen.
So yeah, I don't know what it is about this movie that I don't like - i think maybe it is that it is not clear what kind of message it is sending. One message I got is that our institutions can fail us by making things worse than they were already. But mostly it's just a story, and doesn't really have a point.
But i think it is definitely a classic -lots of funny parts, lots of good acting, and the end was the most memorable other than Casablanca, Bridge over the River Kwai, and The Sting.
Wow! Jack Nicholson in the early days! I'll have to check this out! L, Mo
ReplyDeleteI liked this movie and the book a lot. But I haven't seen either since high school.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking for your review of Ben-Hur. I have started reading the book. I'm working my way through a collection of classics that my grandpa left me.