Chariots of Fire also won Best Picture in 1981. Courtney and I had been looking forward to watching it, because it is from the year of our birth.
Somehow I was under the impression that the movie was about a guy named Prefontaine who was a famous runner. Maybe that is what someone mistakenly told me once. But it was about runners in England in the 1920s.
Now this movie is quite peculiar and impressive.
- It is about runners, so there are a lot of running scenes. I was impressed how the runners were genuinely exhausted from running fast. I don't think there's any way you can "act" like people feel after a sprint. We wondered how often they had to run, and the complexity of having different takes.
- There are instances where the tape is slowed down, or running scenes are repeated. Kind of like instant replay. That way the movie can maximize those scenes.
- The movie is about people from different religious backgrounds, and how they overcome the challenges surrounding that. For the Jew, he is discriminated against, and wants to prove himself. For the Christian, he is asked to compromise, and has to choose between honoring God and running in the Olympics.
Another quote that has been often quoted in Christian literature and sermons is when the Christian runner (Eric Liddell) says to his anti-running sister, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel his pleasure". And the usual application is that religious activities are not the only activities that honor God.
It was tougher for me to relate to the Jewish runner (Abrahams), because I'm not an ultra competitive person, and the things that motivated him aren't the things that motivate me. He eventually gained the respect he sought, and he was treated like a true Englishman.
Anyway, it's hard to know where to rank this movie, but it's toward the top. I didn't ever get bored with it, and it is an epic story, which are is favorite kind.
Here's a video with the theme song:
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.