Somehow this made it on my list of movies to watch, and we watched it Labor Day weekend. There's something about 80s comedies that I don't like - I prefer movies that make fun of the 80s like Wedding Singer.
That being said, this was one of the better 80s comedies that I've seen. John Candy is a spectacular actor. I was a bit disappointed that John Candy's character (Uncle Buck), quickly proved to be a completely responsible guardian. It kind of defeated the purpose that it was supposed to be about a bumbling idiot that couldn't do anything right, and finally pulls through in the end. There was a funny scene where he broke an antique plate, but I don't remember him screwing up much more often than that. At the end, in a moment of desperation, he almost took the kids to his gambling venue, since that was his only source of income, and had them in the car, but before leaving, he realized what he was doing wasn't right.
The only other actor I recognized in the film was MacCaulay Culkin, and he did a great job. This movie takes place a year or two before Home Alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.