So...DISCLAIMERS ASIDE
Here is my take on the books I read in 2009. Click on the titles for my original reviews
BEST BOOKS OF 2009
The winner:
The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas
A captivating tale in the historical context of Christ crucifixion and the years afterward in the Roman Empire.Runner up:
The Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged)
This lengthy book drags in the middle and end, but the beginning is really awesome! It seems a bit crazy to not name this book as the winner of my award, but it's just my gut feeling.Third:
A New Kind of Christian, by Brian McLaren
It's interesting to have fiction and nonfiction all in one book. Through fictional characters and situations, the author teaches us about changes in the culture and how that affects Christianity.Fourth:
The Obama Nation
I don't know if it's because I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't know a thing about Obama until I read this book. A still widely unknown fact is that he was a friend and follower of communist teachers. It's not just scare tactics out there, folks - there is a lot of historical truth to the things people are saying.Fifth:
True Faced
About learning to live out your life in grace. It was good, but I liked the four I just listed better.SO-SO BOOKS OF 2009
Tortured for Christ, by Richard Wurmbrand
He was a great man, and had a powerful testimony. It's an interesting read.The Inner Game of Work
I kind of liked it when I read it, but I haven't applied any of the ideas in the past year. The methods are overall unhelpful.48 Days to the Work You Love, by Dan Miller
This has nothing to do with 48 days of anything, so I'm not sure why they called it that. It just has some thoughts about work and finding work. It's difficult for career books to apply to my situation. They write the books to be able to apply to any career.The Complete Idiot's Guide to Middle East Conflict, by Mitchell Bard
I'm all for the cause of Israel, but this book is very biased for Israel, and is all about Israel. My point is that I was disappointed that this wasn't reflected in the title or back cover of the book when I bought it. Also, it has nothing to do with being a complete idiot, because this is a smart person book!BAD BOOKS OF 2009:
Experiencing Prayer With Jesus, Henry and Norman blackaby
The most egotistic, "I have it all together" book I've ever read, teaching you formulas on how to pray as well as the authors can.BOOKLETS THAT WEREN'T REALLY BOOKS:
2 contents, 2 realities, by Francis Schaeffer
Didn't make a ton of sense.The Little Brown Book of Corporate Advancement
My guide to brown-nosing in office sports and cubicle land!BOOKS I FLIPPED THROUGH
I only include books if I read them completely, but I read most chapters of the following books:
No More Mondays, by Dan Miller
Your Pregnancy for the Expectant Father
The Meaning of Life, Readings in Philosphy
Eat to Live
Question.....The Obama Nation
ReplyDeleteSo I have read several Communist Books and even gone to some lectures on Marxism etc. Not because I want to become one but to better understand the other points of view. Am I now a communistic, socialist Marxism lover? Or am I just a better informed Capitalist?
I am also NOT a believer of God but I have gone to church services and lectures by religious figures to better understand that point of view.
So in the eyes of an aethiest or agnostic would that now make me a religious fanatic or "believer"?
I am an independant. One who choses what I think is the right direction for me, my family and my fellow citizens. I do NOT make my judgements based on a political ideal such as Republican or Democrat - JUST to follow the ideal. Does that make me hate, ridicule or think negatively of die hard Republcans? NOPE, often I will spend time with them to learn more of their point of view. Thus to challenge my own beliefs. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I do not but I am less ignorant for learning thier point of view.
Maybe...just maybe... Obama is a better leader because he has knowledge and experience of those economies. There are several writings on the fact that a strong economy is a balanced one. One that has elements of Capitolism, Socialism, Marxism and yes even a little bit of Communism. Being one who has dug into each one it becomes apparent that the American Society IS built is a little bit of each one of those. Many of the progams and traits of the "Bad Ones" are some of our most popular and strongest programs. I also find it funny how many of the Socialist aspects of our economy would be fought for tooth and nail if they were to be eliminated.
So I would challenge thinking in this way....If I were to take one aspect of you ..Dan. And Solely judge you on that aspect....would that be fair? Or how about I take that aspect and link it to ALL your decisions while not considering other cirmcumstances. Would that be fair?
Challenge #2 - Instead of judging ones perceived beliefs try researching their beliefs/actions. Better yet spend time to challenge your own beliefs. In the end you may understand them better, you may even learn some things that might either make your beliefs even stronger or they may even change.
Challenge #3: There is at least 3 sides to every story. The two opposing views and then the truth. At times there are even more than that. Spend less time on YOUR views and try understanding others from thier perspective and people who share those similar views. You already know your point of view why not learn something new.
In the end maybe your views will change, maybe they will be stronger...what I will promise you is you will be less ignorant that the next guy.
My favorite radical Republican has Fox News on every time I walk into his house and deeply hates Obama. Yet I still like the guy, yes he is ignorant, yes he tightly holds his beliefs and spends no time making sure he is in the right, he just knows he is. YET with all of that I still like the guy. Because there are other sides to his story that makes the man. AND I spend time talking to him about his views....to make myself less ignorant. It is because of that time spent that I have learned he IS a good guy. See where I am coming from.
I once went to a lecture by a guy who became a believer in God by trying to disprove God's existance. To do so he studied God thoroughly..hence he studied the opposition...in the end he became a believer. I've done the same and I am not a believer. Funny how two people can gather the same facts and come to 2 different conclusions. In the end we both tried to educate ourselves. 1 maybe right, 1 maybe wrong but niether of us is ignorant.
Love ya Dan! You're a good man!
Hey Dan, Surely your objection is not that I read an anti-Obama book and enjoyed it, because that would be against your advice of getting all viewpoints. And also, your objection is not that I learned facts about Obama following socialist teachings, because facts are good to know.
ReplyDeleteSo you are either challenging 1. the idea that socialism is a bad thing and 2. I didn't read a pro-Obama book to balance out the facts.
For 1., it would be a tall task to convince me that socialism is good. It is basically defined as taking someone's hard earned money against their will and giving it to someone else. Which can also be called stealing. With all the backroom sweet deals in health care, this especially applies! And when Bush did it with the failed banks, I wasn't happy either. For the record, I don't judge Obama solely on socialism, but that seems to represent a large part of who he is.
So I'm willing to read whatever books you suggest. If it makes you feel better, I am currently reading a book named Cosmos which talks about the universe, and it does challenge my previously held beliefs of Creation. So know that I am an open minded person.
I like your ideas of learning other peoples' viewpoints. It is kind of difficult to do with the pace of life the way it is, but something I should be better at. Love ya too!