- I guess we will have trouble finishing watching that Out Of Africa movie that we started watching last weekend. It was a Best Picture winner.
- The 2nd night at home was really tough. The baby wouldn't feed. i ran to mom and dad's around midnight to get the breast pump, and we figured out how to use it. Courtney called our lactation consultant at 11 PM, and we called the nurse at the hospital at 1 AM. But mom and baby got the hang of it.
- That 2nd night, I also wondered if we would ever sleep. I was exhausted and I knew Courtney had to be even more.
- Last night we slept when the baby slept. We also had a tag team effort..i watched Annique a bit while Courtney dozed. And I slept when they were feeding once or twice. I feel pretty good about it now.
- I'm sad to go back to work on Tuesday! I will miss spending time with Annique and watching her learn new things, and continuing to bond. I'm a bit nervous about my ability to learn new career skills and work, and take care of the baby in the evenings.
- Grandpa Kenny hooked us up with grocery shopping.
- Grandma Laurie helped with Annique's first bath.
- Annique is really cute and although she doesn't look like me, I had fun bonding and singing to her. she likes my harmonica as well. She is pretty and it's fun to hold her.
- My cousin Ann will be the first cousin to meet Annique. And she is hooking us up with a meal. Our aunts so far to meet her are Janice, Elizabeth, and Linnie.
Childbirth story:
There are a lot of things to tell. and I cannot really describe it well. The first thing from my perspective, is that Courtney didn't feel well enough to do anything that day. Laurie came over to help. But for me that did not translate to "Courtney is in labor". I thought it was a more gradual process over several days where you see labor signs. But I came home around 5 PM, and Laurie told me to pack a bag because we were going to have a baby. So far that week my concerns had been about finding a new car and my need to mow the lawn. And Courtney was concerned about work transitions and church youth committee issues. There was never going to be a time when we were ready, I think it just happens that way, where you drop everything at whatever moment. I was in shock. I swear that I thought Laurie was kidding, and I asked her several times if we were really having a baby today. I knew the 5-1-1 rule about contractions, but it happened really quickly. to be continued....
been there, done that!! keep in mind the super high needs newborn phase is just that, a phase!! three months from now, you'll be a new man. it goes fast. (at seven months, miles is sleeping from 7 pm to 7 am and taking two long naps, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. it's much more manageable AND enjoyable!)
ReplyDeleteand maybe you don't see it, but annique definitely looks like her mama!!
ReplyDeleteThe first few weeks are definitely the hardest- you're tired, worried, disorganized...its all normal!! Just enjoy these precious moments because they seriously go by way too quickly!! Can't wait to meet Annique!!
ReplyDelete...and don't worry about posting "too much" baby stuff on Facebook- you should be proud to be a Daddy and its ok to tell the world!!
ReplyDelete