Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Book Review: Every Man's Marriage


This was the first book I read about marriage as a married man. I felt that it was geared not toward me, but toward really immature men. It actually made me feel quite good about myself. Let me explain.

I opened to a random page and picked an example of this immaturity. "A man once asked us, "You speak so much about serving and giving in. Do you ever feel as if you aren't head of your home?" The answer is no..."

Let me randomly pick another page...."On the eve of their wedding, Brad told his wife, "I just want to make something clear between us. My job will always come first, and you need to know that going in". That statment clearly revealed where Brad's passion lies."

So there are two examples of how this book was intended for men who have no clue.

The one thing I did get from it is the concept of honoring your wife's essence. This is when a wife has some strong desires that do not make sense to the man. The example in my life would me how Courtney does not want me to wake up and do things on Saturday while she is still sleeping. I personally would enjoy getting up and getting things done, or enjoying reading or playing music. But I soon learned that Courtney is happier if I sleep in. I am honoring my wife's essence by staying in bed.

But this book was generally stating the obvious most of the time. It was for men who didn't have the example that I had growing up. It also may be that we haven't been married long, but if that's the case, just don't tell me!

*Also I have a wife who makes it easy to be a husband!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for valuing our marriage by reading a book about it. I love waking up next to you on Saturdays! Thanks for honoring my essence. You are a wonderful husband and you definitely have way more sense than those examples!
    ~Wife

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.