Friday, January 25, 2008

Dishwasher, by Pete Jordan

Seeking a book to read during my vacation, I found this book among all of its boring neighbors on the Biographies shelf in the library. "Dishwasher - One man's quest to Wash Dishes in 50 States". How could that not be a winner? As it turns out, it was a really good book.

The author grew up in a rough background, and saw his dad work every day his whole life and still be poor. So the author thought that if he was just going to be poor, he might as well not try too hard in his aspirations. So he eventually found out he enjoyed washing dishes, so that's what he did.

So this book is a collection of stories of all the places he dished. He also developed some rules, like how he couldn't work somewhere where he couldn't just quit whenever he wanted. And how he refused to work somewhere where he had to wear company clothing. The entire book is amazingly funny. I laughed out loud several times. He also includes historical stories of famous dishwashers, such as several former presidents and entertainers.

I appreciate the book most for its creative writing. It inspires me that any experience can be explained in a creative way and used to entertain others. For that reason, I recommend this book!!! I must warn that this book has more profanity than I have ever read. But it is all done in a tasteful manner, if you know what I mean.

4 comments:

  1. this book is now next on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggested this to my book club, Dan, so it better be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. book club report: some liked it, some hated it!
    The book was funny, but I didn't like the guy. What a lazy louse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm.that was me, not steven

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.