Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Movie Review: Jaws

JAWS was nominated in 1975 for Best Picture. In my opinion, it got robbed of the award. But the Academy is apparently a fan of good acting, and that is why it went with "One Flew". I assume that bad acting is also why Star Wars didn't win, but we haven't gotten there yet. Overall, I wish the Academy would recognize how great these movies were.

I think the actual shark model in Jaws looks fake, but maybe in 1975 it was really awesome. Overall, it's the suspense of the movie that makes it great. The other things that make the movie great are the amazing technical challenges that went into filming the movie, and some of the techniques that Steven Spielberg used.

JAWS opened up the era of the summer blockbuster. I talked to a friend who said that movie tickets went up from $1.75 for a double feature, to $3.00 for one feature. So essentially, movie prices went up over 300%.

I also enjoyed how the film featured actors from previous Best Picture Winners. Robert Shaw played Quint in Jaws, and Lonnegan in The Sting. Roy Scheider played Brody in Jaws, and Russo in the French Connection. And this was the earliest film I've seen Richard Dreyfuss in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.