Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thoughts on the economy

As I'm going through the first economic crisis in my adult lifetime, I have some thoughts about this.

It's interesting to see the Invisible Hand affecting peoples' decisions. (I'm referring to Adam Smith's writings, not God). At least I'm thankful for a capitalistic system where the market can adjust itself. That's why the government is so irritating right now - their actions of stealing my money to give it to failing companies and failing people is disgusting. And it also messes up the market's ability to adjust itself.

But anyway, my point is that a bad economy is a cleanser of sort. It causes us to ask "What could I do differently to make money again?" "What products can I add?" "Am I really that good at what I'm doing?"

I believe that trials will make us stronger. In that sense, I am thankful for a bad economy. And I believe that innovation and correction will make it stronger. The governments efforts will make it weaker. I may not be voting Republican or Democrat, because they have both lost my respect.

Also, my thoughts have been with 3rd world countries. Here I am worried about losing a few dollars, and someone living in squallor across the world would still be shocked at my wealth. And that is the problem some people have had with the capitalist system - with some of the injustices that go along with it. And I am not a scholar on that subject. I will just say that I am thinking about my wealth - I am so stinking wealthy compared to the rest of the world.

I'm not against American wealth. I'm just want to make a case for contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.