
This movie was recommended to me by one of my favorite coworkers. He is definitely the best at what he does. ( And he reads my blog). He reminded me on several occasions to watch this movie, saying that it a movie about a person putting aside his childish ways and becoming a man. Plus, the music is awesome. ("Bee Gees rule! he says")
I totally agree about the music - I had it in my head for a couple of weeks, and I realized disco is not that bad. But the plot left a lot to be desired. What I thought would be an entertaining movie about dancing, was more about a teen (Tony, played by John Travolta) who hangs around the wrong people, including having a bad family situation. So the gang he hangs out with are not good guys - lots of cussing, sex in the back of cars, fighting, drinking, drugs - and this goes on the entire movie. This was kind of a surprise for me - I guess I thought it would be more of a family film, or at least more mainstream, since it is a famous movie. In the 70s they made a PG version so that more people would see the movie, but our library has the original rated R version.
Tony's family treats him like dirt, and thinks his brother who became a priest is the best - it actually was interesting how this brother leaves the church, and this makes Tony feel better about himself. Tony is rude to his current dancing partner, who really likes him. He then leaves her for another partner that is not part of the gang. The new partner shows him that he can have a future, because she has gotten a job in Manhattan. But apart from his mad dancing skills and job at the painting store, he is pretty much not getting ahead, until the last 2 seconds of the movie where he decides to leave his old ways behind.
Sheesh ya hammered it!
ReplyDelete;)
Seriously folks I am not a pervert. I found this to be a great slice of life movie.
It is a coming of age story.
To further explain... When Tony learns of his brother's desire to leave the church he is struck with the realization that his brother is human with human faults. Up to that point both Tony's family and even Tony himself deemed him second best to his brother the priest. It is at this point Tony realizes he is his own person and everyone is on a level playing field. It is a moment of growth.
G-man must have been reading one of the 6 books he is working on while watching this.
The next time you watch a movie I recommended let me know and I will watch with you and your wife and pause it whenever I think plot clarification is in order. My wife loves it when I do that. She only says she doesn't to tease me, but she really does.
Let me know when you will be putting in the lighted dance floor in the living room. I come down in my polyester leisure suit performing some dance moves.
And yes...despite this poor review of one of my favorite movies this still stands as my favorite blog and I read a lot of them.
By the way..AWWWWEESOME pic of Travolta! He da man!
ReplyDeleteBee Gees rule! Mo rocks on.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dans. Now I have Nights on Broadway stuck in my head.
DT - No matter what, it is fun to see you get excited about it. Wear your leisure suit next time you come to KC, and then I'll watch Smokey and the Bandit! We wish you would have been here to pause and explain The Deer Hunter (1978) when we were watching it. Rjo - why Nights on Broadway, they have so many better songs!
ReplyDelete