The author is a member of the singing group called the Oak Ridge Boys. I'm not sure who they are but judging by the guy in the fantastic white beard I'm pretty sure it's not my favorite music style. The author is the one on the left.

The Oak Ridge Boys
The forward is by Barbara Bush. George Sr and she are friends with the author.
The author displays much knowledge about WWII throughout the book. He focuses on one couple. The man (referred to as GI Joe) got through D-Day when he was 19, but was badly injured in D-Day minus 50. The man had recurring nightmares from his experiences for the rest of his life. The woman served in Women's Army Corps (WAC). They met in a hospital, and tried to make it through life together. Shrapnel continued to come out of the man's body, until he was tired of going to the doctor, and one piece eventually caused a stroke. The man was paralyzed in half of his body and could hardly speak the rest of his life. It is a story about sacrifice. I kept wondering why especially the author focused on this couple, since this type of story may have been common.

At the end, the author reveals that the story is about his parents. It should have been quite obvious, with the author's name on the book cover being the name of GI Joe's son. but I was quite thick headed. It is unusual for someone to write in 3rd person about himself, so that is what threw me off. It makes sense now how the author knew so much about this couple.
I thought this was a quaint book. But I would have been more inspired by a collection of stories about people who sacrificed, rather than a detailed story about this couple. But I appreciated the book.
The author displays much knowledge about WWII throughout the book. He focuses on one couple. The man (referred to as GI Joe) got through D-Day when he was 19, but was badly injured in D-Day minus 50. The man had recurring nightmares from his experiences for the rest of his life. The woman served in Women's Army Corps (WAC). They met in a hospital, and tried to make it through life together. Shrapnel continued to come out of the man's body, until he was tired of going to the doctor, and one piece eventually caused a stroke. The man was paralyzed in half of his body and could hardly speak the rest of his life. It is a story about sacrifice. I kept wondering why especially the author focused on this couple, since this type of story may have been common.

At the end, the author reveals that the story is about his parents. It should have been quite obvious, with the author's name on the book cover being the name of GI Joe's son. but I was quite thick headed. It is unusual for someone to write in 3rd person about himself, so that is what threw me off. It makes sense now how the author knew so much about this couple.
I thought this was a quaint book. But I would have been more inspired by a collection of stories about people who sacrificed, rather than a detailed story about this couple. But I appreciated the book.
Well written article.
ReplyDelete