Thursday, August 07, 2008

Book Review: It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success is Your Own Damn Fault, by Larry Winget

I first saw this at Barnes and Noble, but ended up checking out at JoCo Library.

It is an entertaining and in-your-face book about work and customer service.

Here's a few nuggets that made me think:
  • Superstars will always leave you. And they make their own rules
  • 20/60/20 rule - the top 20% will move on. The bottom 20% performers should get let go. After those people go, the remaining 60% can go up or down into the other 20% percentiles.
  • fire people who don't perform
  • they pay you for results - if you're great at sales, you shouldn't be bogged down by all the required paperwork
  • Let people perform in their individuality. Instead of focusing on "team" focus on how that person can get things done in their individuality.
  • Beware of self-professed team players. They mostly just want to hide behind a team because their work sucks
  • Casual days are the worst idea ever - days where people can look like a slob and work like one too.
  • Take the crap off the cubicle walls - make the office look like a place where people work
This book messed me up for a week, because I tried to work harder than usual, by working through lunch or trying to be perfect. But it upset the equilibrium that I had perfected. I realized that my instincts have served me well. I already have a good work ethic.

Overall this book was entertaining and insightful, and I recommend it. It's not overly academic or without personality like most personal development books. I like this guy.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your report. The author doesn't seem to be big on Teams, which is interesting. Teams can bog down, but they might be important for interpersonal relations on the job. I think you have a great work ethic already. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.