Thursday, August 07, 2008

Burlington IA & Justin's wedding

We trekked to Burlingon IA last weekend. It is a 6 hour drive. Burlington is in SE Iowa next to the Mississippi. It was affected by flooding - the couple had to change the location of their reception.

Anyway, I really like the Iowa countryside, more so than Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, or South Dakota - all places we've been to the past month. The highways were pretty much deserted, and it made me wonder if the Iowans get out much. We stopped by the same town (Albia) for lunch both ways - Subway for Courtney and Hardee's for me - the only two restaurants available. We went straight to the church and got to see the groom and talk to him a little while before he had to rush and take another picture.

Here are some pictures. The church had plastic deer in the very center of their small lobby. We said that it was blog-worthy, so here it is.



The reception had a dance, and we naturally did not participate. I only saw three people I knew the whole weekend - and that is the groom (who I met at our wedding), Courtney, and me. Which made me question the sanity of making such a trip. But I enjoyed it overall. We sat by ourselves at the reception table. The main perk is that we got 8 nice cookies, not that I can eat them. I got to drink out of 5 water glasses, and had the salt shaker to myself.



On Sunday we worshiped by enjoying the nature at Crapo Park. Despite the name of it, it is very nice. There is a trail that leads to a little waterfall and a cave, and we saw some kittens. We also walked along the riverfront.





1 comment:

  1. What a big trip! I've been to weddings where I didn't know anyone with Dad. No fun. But it means a lot to the friend whom we're supporting. I never regret going to an occasion, but I've regretted not going. Nice photos and report!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.