Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cicada Killers



Has anyone ever heard of cicada killers? They are big wasps that live East of the Rockies, including in our front lawn.

We have several holes that they have burrowed. They prefer lawns that are not full. That is sad but true about our lawn.

They sting and paralyze cicadas and bring them to their young underground. I actually saw one carry a cicada underground.

They live about 2 months. The best way to get rid of them apparently is to hit them with a tennis racket. They are not harmful to humans.

3 comments:

  1. Note to self: invest in a tennis racket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing creature that I didn't even know existed. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, i can use that racquetball racket that I never use! But yeah, it's an amazing creature, I'd feel bad killing them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.